Team-based gaming is the new workplace eLearning trend of 2021
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
Team-based, social, collaborative… whatever you want to call it, this eLearning method is the new ‘it’ girl in town.
Traditionally, team-based learning (TBL) is focused around…well, precisely that – teamwork, and it’s usually completed in a typical classroom environment, with a strong focus on peer-to-peer learning. With around 46% of UK employees working from home over the past year and 37% of employees feeling less connected to their teammates than ever before, workplace learning has had to pull up its socks and change with the times.
TBL can bring many benefits to a business that is willing to invest in their employees, especially when zhuzhed up with a bit of friendly competition or gamification.
Research conducted by Deloitte shows 51% of employers see a significant improvement in employee performance when shifting towards team-based learning in organisations.
Let’s break it down…
Gamified eLearning is needed to keep your workers engaged
When it comes to gamified learning, imagine if Pac-Man could teach you about fire safety in the workplace or Sonic the Hedgehog could train teams to provide excellent customer service.
Gamified learning typically takes the elements of gaming (multiplayer functionality, levelling up, points, badges, etc.) and makes it a fun and insightful training experience.
Seriously, just take a look at the key results from TalentLMS’ gamification in the workplace survey:
- 83% of employees who complete gamified training are more motivated at work
- 49% of employees tend to get bored if their workplace training is not gamified
- 88% of respondents say that gamification makes them happier at work
Teamwork really is the bees-knees
Merging gamification and teamwork makes sense, especially when you look at how hugely positive the impacts of solid teamwork can be to a business:
- Engaged and happy team members generate 21% more profit than their disengaged counterparts.
- Workplace collaboration can increase successful innovation by 15%
- According to BrightHR, teamwork improves individual and collective performance. In fact, members of different age, gender and ethnicity perform better by up to 35% compared to uniform teams.
After all, teamwork makes the dream work, right?!
Wanna play a game?
We’re all partial to a family game of Monopoly or a slightly competitive game of Mario Kart (Yes, I will absolutely throw the banana skin at you if you get in my way), but when it comes to merging online games with workplace training, the world really is your oyster.
Some of our favourite team-based eLearning games are:
- Escape room – Can your employees work together to complete the tasks, pass the training and get out of the room before the time ends? Put your teamwork skills to the test.
- Driving dash – Need to train your employees on how to drive safely while at work? Why not make a fun, interactive game where team members work together to deliver goods or services to customers!
- Trivia triumph – Work cohesively as a team to get the trivia questions right. Get them wrong, and your team misses a go. Get round the board in the allotted time or risk failing the training.
One-of-a-kind eLearning content to suit your needs
With the rise in demand for gamified eLearning, you’re going to need a group of passionate, award-winning content experts to do the tricky bit for you, right?
We have our own Bespoke Content team that specialises in customisation, gamification and, hey, you guessed it, team-based eLearning.
Get in touch today to speak to one of our dedicated team members, and we’ll discuss how we can deliver engaging, interactive content to fit your workplace needs.